Monday, February 14, 2011

Get to Know Your Wonderful Blogger

 

Hey all you sports fans out there, welcome to my blog of all things college sports. For those of you that don't know who I am, here's a little bit about me:

 

-As of today, February 14, 2011, I have been in my 20's for exactly 6 days.
-I attend James Madison University. This is my second year, but because of credits from high school, I'm considered a junior.
-Though I started my collegiate career as a Biology major, I switched to Writing, Rhetoric, and Technical Communication. WRTC 200 is the class that inspired this blog.
-I am a facebook addict (don't judge, you probably are too). You can friend me on fb here follow my sports feed on twitter here.

 

Possibly most importantly, I'm a sports fan first, blogger second. I will do my best to use this as a forum to communicate news and offer my own opinions, but don't think of me solely as a disconnected writer. When the big game comes around, you can find me plopped in front of the 37 inch flatscreen in my room, watching with my friends. Yes, I scream at the TV in a vain attempt to insult a referee's manhood after a bad call. Yes, I will plan an entire 16-hour day around a three-hour football game. Yes, I have stayed home on weekend nights to watch a big hockey game. And yes, I have skipped class in order to watch March Madness (sorry, mom). Thus my passion for sports writing comes directly for my love of the game. That being said, I think it's only fair that you all know where my fan loyalties lie:

College Sports: West Virginia Mountaineers (I will also cheer for Duke every once in a while, as I was born in Durham)
NFL: Tennessee Titans
NBA: San Antonio Spurs
NHL: Washington Capitals
MLB: Baltimore Orioles (your sympathy is appreciated)

 

I am just as passionate about the teams I love as I am about the game itself. That being said, I am fully capable of having an opinion and being unbiased at the exact same time. Call it call it good journalism, call it Orwellian double-think. Call it whatever you like. I promise not to be obnoxious, but I won't promise to not be opinionated. In a world where ESPN dominates sports headlines by simply having a massive collection of sports news, opinionated commentary is the only thing that can separate print media such as this blog from a culturally dominant video-based fact-spewer like ESPN. Don't get me wrong- I love ESPN, and I watch Sportscenter twice daily. But it shouldn't be the only tool used to keep yourself in the loop with sports- hence my rationale behind the blog.

 

 

Anyway, down to business. Although I will from time to time post randomly with my thoughts on one thing or another, I will post every day with the following topics, which will vary from day to day:

 

Sunday- Weekend Recap
Monday- New Poll Commentary
Tuesday- Offseason and Professional Sport Updates
Wednesday- Conference Talk
Thursday- Teams, Players to watch
Friday- Weekend Pregame
Saturday- Editorial Rants/Viewer Questions

 

Look for my first posts on Wednesday (February 16). Thanks for reading!

No comments: