Friday, September 7, 2012

Pregaming for Radio!

Woo-Hoo! Gonna be on the radio tomorrow!

I will be joining my colleague Tony Schaffner on the JMU pregame radio & tailgate show to talk sports for an hour or so tomorrow, probably 11-12. (Frequent twitter checks might be necessary.)
Tune in to WXJM student radio at 88.7 if you're in Harrisonburg, or you can go here to bring me up on internet satellite. Listening to my voice will be pretty weird if you're a regular reader, but let's change it up here? Change of pace is good, so I'm told.

We'll be talking DMV baseball (let's go Orioles!), probably a little NFL, and obviously how badly JMU is gonna whoop on Alcorn State. The whole show I'll be pretending I'm a part of Radio Free Roscoe, so it'll be a good time. And if you followed that reference, shoot me a text so I know who to buy the ring for.

On to the pregame!


Games To Watch


Central Florida at Ohio State

Ohio State looked pretty lethal in game 1 against in-state competitor Miami of Ohio. But what about a team with an actual defense to its credit? I don't think UCF will win or anything, I'm just interested in seeing how Central Florida limits Urban's spread, as well as how Braxton Miller progresses as a quarterback.


Austin Peay at Virginia Tech

All I'm saying is that the last time Virginia Tech played a Monday night game and then an FCS school on Saturday... we all know what happened.

In all seriousness, Austin Peay is not JMU and Tech will not lose this game. But Tech's loss to JMU was as much a product of poor play as it was a short week. You have to wonder what the Virginia Tech Athletic Department is thinking, repeating the same mistakes of old so soon.


Florida at Texas A&M

What Aggies team are we gonna get here? I honestly have no idea. But as A&M opens SEC play, you've gotta wonder if they went to the SEC to compete for championships, or hang out at the side of the party by the food table and just eat carrots and ranch dressing.


Nebraska at UCLA

Is Nebraska for real? I'd like to know, as they're my pick to win the Big 10. Midwest teams don't do particularly well out on the west coast... but I mean, it's just UCLA, right?


Georgia at Missouri

Similar to above, but with a twist. Georgia supposedly must sit four starters. Out in Missouri, will the Tigers have enough to upset the Dawgs?

Sorry, for SEC clarification: the Missouri Tigers have enough to upset the Georgia bulldogs. Honestly SEC people, can you pick some more original mascots instead of using the same five animals? My guy carries a gun. Just saying.


Oklahoma State at Arizona

Interested to see how Wes Lunt does here in a game where he likely won't put up 80-some points. Plus I hear Arizona fields a defense, too! What a novelty. Shoutout to RichRod, hope you lose by a lot.


Pick against the Breeze

So this is a new segment that I'm totally doing without my editors permission. They'll get over it, likely because they're too busy to be reading this blog.

Every Thursday, the Breeze highlights six sports matchups and allows their editors to go at it. I have loved playing against them ever since I was a freshman, without their knowledge of course.

(Hint: I always beat them, except for David Barton. I believe I tied him over the course of Fall 2011.)

JMU vs Alcorn
UVA vs Penn St
Cowboys vs Giants
Redskins vs Saints
Panthers vs Bucs
Ravens vs Bengals

Obviously you're on your honor with the Giants-Cowboys pick, but feel free to leave your picks in the comment sections, or keep track at home.


Top 25 Forecast


Here's my picks for the weekend:

W. Kentuck at 1 Alabama
2 USC at Syracuse
Washington at 3 LSU
Fresno St at 4 Oregon
Florida A&M at 5 Oklahoma
Savannah State at 6 FSU
7 Georgia at Missouri
Louisiana-Monroe at 8 Arkansas
East Carolina at 9 South Carolina
11 Michigan St at Central Michigan
Ball State at 12 Clemson
13 Wisconsin at Oregon St
UCF at 14 Ohio St
Austin Peay at 15 Virginia Tech
16 Nebraska at UCLA
New Mexico at 17 Texas
18 Oklahoma St at Arizona
Air Force at 19 Michigan
Grambling St at 20 TCU
Miami (Fl) at 21 Kansas St
Purdue at 22 Notre Dame
Missouri St at 23 Louisville
24 Florida at Texas A&M
Duke at 25 Stanford


Have a great weekend, tune in to some radio, and I'll see you all back here Sunday.

No comments: