Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pregame: The Musical

It's mid-evening last Tuesday as I'm watching netflix with twitter up on my computer. I'm occassionally taking time to sift through the updates, but in reality, it's Tuesday. Football is four days away. Not much popping up in my all-sports twitter feed.

Suddenly, something stands out. Dae'Quan Scott, starting JMU runningback that tears linebackers and DB's to shreds, tweets lyrics from this John Mayer song.

My response: dude, seriously?

This is a staple of the classic "girl's multi-purpose attention-seeking facebook status song lyrics" list, so obviously I'm a bit curious here. Scott replied almost immediately to me, noting that he "listens to it all."

Hey, good for him. If I had biddies lining up from here to Bridgeforth to get in my inner circle because of who I was, I probably wouldn't mind proclaiming an inner love for John Mayer either. Unfortunately this is not the world we live in. So while Scott does his job and continues to rake in phone numbers, I will do my job and take tongue-in-cheek shots at him and his ipod from the safe confines of my bedroom where he and his friends can't hurt me.

Hopefully, he has a sense of humor and can take it. I'm thinking he can; have you seen the way he runs between the tackles?


Games to Watch- Brought to you by Dae'Quan Scott's Ipod


Kansas State at Oklahoma

What can I say? I guess I'm a sucker for dual threat quarterbacks that don't wear the color maroon and publicly brandish firearms. Collin Klein is a beast, and he's got the sweetest nickname in college football- Optimus Klein. He and the fighting Snydercats will be Stormin Norman to try to take out OKLAHOMA, THE GREATEST TEAM IN ALL THE LAND, WHO CARES THAT THEY LOST A BUNCH OF PLAYERS TO INJURY TWO WEEKS BEFORE THE SEASON THEYRE AMAZING AND NOT OVERRATED AT ALL.

Actually, that pretty much sums up how I feel about both teams. Caps Lock aside, it's gonna be a great game to watch. Collin Klein puts this team on his back so much, he makes Greg Jennings look like a pop warner kid. Oklahoma, for all its problems, still can't be overlooked, particularly when they've only lost three home games this millenium.

Maybe I'm letting my love for Klein get in the way of my sensible analyst here, but I really hope K-State wins this one.

DQS Soundtrack Song: Falling for You by Colbie Caillat



Clemson at Florida State

I'm gonna give you a scenario, you tell me what year this is from:
Florida State is a wildly hyped up team with national championship aspirations and talent all over the field. An early season showdown in September could go a long way to determining their legitimacy and shot at the crystal football.

What season is it from? 2012? 2011? 2010? Other years that you know happened but can't quite remember, because you don't pay attention to irrelevant programs like Florida State?

DQS Soundtrack Song: Baby One More Time by Britney Spears



Michigan at Notre Dame

Week 4 is prime overreaction territory. We think we have teams pegged now that we've watched them blow out three consecutive MAAC teams. The Wolverines get dominated by the defending national champions? THEY'RE TERRIBLE, JUST LIKE THE BIG 10! (okay, actually, the Big 10 is pretty terrible) Notre Dame beats the hell out of Navy and Michigan State? THROWBACK TO '88?!?! NOTRE DAME WILL PLAY FOR THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!

(+10 Bonus points if you can name the team Notre Dame played for the 1988 National Championship)

In reality, these programs probably haven't moved much from their recent spots: former powerhouses that will field above average teams, but won't be contending for a championship this year or next year.

DQS Soundtrack Song: Better Days by the Goo Goo Dolls



Arizona at Oregon

Sorry, I'm already out of breath.

DQS Soundtrack Song: Fireworks by Katy Perry



Rutgers at Arkansas

So, let me get this straight. Your old head coach crashed his motorcycle into a ditch and quit, your new coach is 27 million dollars in debt, you lost to a school I've never heard of at home and then got beat 52-0 the next week by your in conference rival, and your quarterback is publicly criticizing your team? And now you have to gear up for an undefeated Big East team that would further lower and debase you should you lose at home again? Which is entirely possible, because they're actually pretty good?

DQS Soundtrack Song: Fix You by Coldplay



Missouri at South Carolina

There might be four quarterbacks that play in this game. The HBC better keep some band-aids ready. Connor Shaw is beat to Hell, but don't forget-- this is the south, you gotta be ready to give them out for hospitality's sake, too.

DQS Soundtrack Song: Broken by Seether/Amy Lee



Pick Against the Breeze

JMU vs Rhode Island
Oklahoma vs Kansas State
Clemson vs Florida State
Patriots vs Ravens
Dolphins vs Jets
Eagles vs Cardinals

Last Week's Record: 4-2
Season Record: 7-5



Top 25 Forecast

Florida Atlantic at 1 Alabama
2 LSU at Auburn
22 Arizona at 3 Oregon
10 Clemson at 4 Florida State
Vanderbilt at 5 Georgia
15 Kansas State at 6 Oklahoma
Missouri at 7 South Carolina
Maryland at 8 West Virginia
18 Michigan at 11 Notre Dame
California at 13 USC
Kentucky at 14 Florida
UAB at 16 Ohio State
Virginia at 17 TCU
Oregon St at 19 UCLA
20 Louisville at FIU
E. Michigan at 21 Michigan St
South Alabama at 23 Mississippi St
Idaho St at 25 Nebraska




(Editor's Note: the C4G blog has no inside knowledge of the music on Dae'Quan Scott's actual ipod, though we respect whatever genre of music gets him pumped for game days. This blog does, however, have inside knowledge of the best FCS runninbacks in the country, and Scott is undoubtedly one of them. This concludes the ego-stroking portion of this blog.)

No comments: