Thursday, July 19, 2012

Big 12 Preseason Rankings

Since the media is all aflutter this week with coach interviews, player ranks, and preseason polls, I thought I'd do a couple rankings of my own. This is just quick hits, folks. No explanation, no endearing commentary. I'll be doing the Big 12 today, and the Big East and ACC later this weekend.



1. West Virginia
2. Oklahoma
3. Texas
4. Kansas State
5. Oklahoma State
6. TCU
7. Texas Tech
8. Baylor
9. Iowa State
10. Kansas



...okay, so maybe a little endearing commentary. I think it's important to point out that I have West Virginia on top not just because I'm a fanboy (let's be honest, it was a factor), but because I think Oklahoma is almost as overrated this year as they were last year when they were the preseason #1 team in the land. They're going to be good again- almost certainly a top 2 finish in the conference- but just like last year when I had Oklahoma State taking the conference, I have the quote-unquote "second-best team" beating out the Normanites for all the gravy.

Other things to consider- Kansas State is being vastly overlooked and underrated by basically everyone on Earth. I don't think they have athletes to compete with the likes of Texas or the other top two teams, but they're head and shoulders above the rest of the conference and capable of knocking anyone off.

I wish people would hop off the respective crotches of Baylor and Oklahoma State. This is not a complex concept. The primary reasons their teams were good are now gone. They aren't going to pick up right where they left off. There will be major steps backward.

TCU will have a middle of the pack intro season. Their schedule gets pretty brutal down the stretch.

Texas Tech will finish ahead of the "other teams." They'll be noticably better, too. I'm thinking bowl eligible.

Iowa State will have another middling year, but will stage another huge upset.

Kansas will continue to remind their fans why they appreciate basketball so much.

No comments: