Wednesday, April 11, 2012

2012 NHL Playoff Predictions

With so much going on in the regular season- Bowl games, NCAA basketball, NBA, and others- it can be hard to keep up with the daily grind of the NHL regular season. But strangely enough, I've gotten really excited for the hockey postseason the last few years. So in the spirit of getting too drunk and banging on plexiglass while 220 pound Russians beat the shit out of each other ten feet in front of you, here are my predictions for the 2012 playoffs:


In the East:


Senators at Rangers: The East's top overall seed might not be the hottest team in hockey, but they're still too good for Ottawa to upset. I've got the Rangers going deep, taking care of the Sens in 5.


Caps at Bruins: It's not just because I'm a fan. Really. But I just have a weird feeling. Maybe it's because they lose when they should win, so I expect them to win when they're the underdog. I don't know. I think Ovechkin has an overall crappy series, but the Caps dig out the win in 6.


Devils at Panthers: Can both these teams lose? I don't know. For a three seed, I just think the Florida Panthers are awfully bad. If I have to pick one of these teams, I've got the Devils of the (lack of) Garden State in 5.


Flyers at Penguins: Can this be every playoff series?  Honestly, watching the inter-Pennsylvania showdown will be light years better than every other playoff series in the East. I will be watching every game.  It's gonna come down to the wire, but I've got the Flyers in 7.



In the West:

Kings at Canucks: I thought Vancouver was head and shoulders above everyone else last year and they still didn't win. This year, when I think they don't quite have the same magic... forget it. I don't see this team winning, and with some fresh injuries coming to light, I think they barely beat the Kings in the first round. Canucks in 7.


Sharks at Blues: St Louis has done a nice job flying somewhat under the radar with a very good team because St Louis isn't really a Mecca of hockey. But who cares? The blues are crazy good and I think they go deep. The sharks won't be getting far this year. Blues in 5.


Blackhawks at Coyotes: Phoenix is one of those franchises that, regardless of how good they are, I never really see them going far.  Chicago might not be a great team like they were when they won the cup in 2010, but I think their experience and players gets the best of the southwestern boys. Blackhawks in 7.


Red Wings at Predators: What is it with the 4/5 matchups this year? This matchup is gonna be sick. I'm excited to see how Detroit plays with how bad they've been away from the Motor City, especially playing in a dangerously underrated hockey town like Nashville. Wings will be a tough out, but I think the Preds will get it done. Preds in 7.



Eastern Final: Caps at Rangers (Rangers in 5)
Western Final: Preds at Blues (Blues in 7)

Stanley Cup: Blues at Rangers (Blues in 6)

No comments: