Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Bird(song) is the Word

I know I may not cover a whole lot of strictly JMU-related topics, but I thought this one might merit my stepping in with an opinion.

So by now, word has probably reached everyone that Michael Birdsong, true freshman from Matoaca, has supplanted Justin Thorpe, fifth-year JMU quarterback from Varina. Is it geographic poetry that Enon is right in between the two, and I have to cover this whole mess? I'm gonna go with yes.

People have been blowing up my phone all week in an effort to understand what in the hell is going on in Bridgeforth, so I've put together this timeline of events to help everyone understand just what in tarnation is going on under center and, more importantly, in Mickey Matthews' head. (and just as importantly, so people will stop texting me at 3 in the morning to find out if how many touchdowns Birdsong threw last weekend.)



SATURDAY- After several games of somewhat questionable decisions marring his play time, Justin Thorpe is pulled in the second half in Richmond after failing to pitch the ball on fourth and 1. The Dukes turned the ball over on downs.

Thorpe finished 8/13 with 142 yards, 1 td, and 2 picks. He had 36 yards rushing on 15 carries.
Birdsong only played for 7:13 (Thorpe played for over 20 minutes) but completed 11 passes for 159 yards, 1 td, and no interceptions. He also had 73 yards rushing and a touchdown on 7 carries.

Mickey Matthews attributed the change in the post-game press conference to the team needing a change to spark the offense. It was intimated that the change would not be long term.

MONDAY- Coach Matthews announced at his weekly 12:00 O'Neills press conference that Birdsong would start vs CAA punching bag Georgia State. He also revealed that Thorpe has been dealing with an ongoing finger injury.

TUESDAY- At the week's first practice, Matthews informed me and a few others that Thorpe and the coaching staff had come to an agreement that he take the day off. Birdsong took first-team reps; Lafonte Thourogood (who has been suffering from an ongoing hamstring injury) took second-team reps. Matthews also said that football is unpredictable, but it is his intention that Birdsong would start the rest of the season.

WEDNESDAY- Justin Thorpe returns to practice and takes second-team reps, noting to my co-editor Wayne that he was just as shocked as anyone that he was pulled, but reaffirming his committment to the team to help in any way he can. He alluded to Matthews possibly using him out wide at receiver, as he occassionally did earlier in his career when Drew Dudzik played quarterback.



Now, my thoughts. I was very skeptical of this plan at first. I thought Thorpe had proved for the millionth time in the Towson game that, despite not necessarily progressing much as a quarterback over the years or looking 100% all the time, he's the go-to guy that will win games when it matters. I thought taking first team reps away from Thorpe would be detrimental to the offense, assuming he was to end up back under center at some point this season.

Now that I've spoken with coach, it seems clear to me that Birdsong is the guy moving forward, like it or not. And you know what? I think I like it. Birdsong is a lot more like Jace Edwards than most people care to admit, which brings a significant level of balance to the offense. No longer is JMU likely to become stagnant at times under the weight of a botched JT keeper. Instead, it's a carefully balanced attack with Dae'Quan Scott and co. leading the rushing attack, Birdsong occassionally chipping in some attempts, (though not nearly to the tune of 20-30 carries per game, as Thorpe has been of late), and guys like Arlandis Harvey (and perhaps even Thorpe himself!?) anchoring the pass game. It could look a lot like last year, except with a better offensive line and slightly better pass coverage.

Take away? Cut out the penalties the defense was committing last week, and I think JMU might be a better team when it's all said and done. It might be tough to hear if your last name rhymes with Yorpe, but I think we're about to see shades of 2004. You heard it hear first.


No comments: